Thursday, October 24, 2013

"Grapes"

This is one in a series that Weiwei has been working on since 1997 and it consists of 40 antique wooden stools from the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) which have been taken apart and reassembled in new ways. Weiwei wants "us to question our assumptions about objects and change the way we look at things". I like the shadows the piece cast and since this was early in the evening the big crowds had not yet gathered and I was able to get them in the shot. The little houses in the background are made from solid blocks of tea leaves and reference the traditional tea rooms of China.
The November 1 theme for City Daily Photo bloggers is "Heights."

17 comments:

Sharon said...

This is fantastic. I love the shadows too.

Lowell said...

Well, if I had to think of this as "grapes," he's succeeded in getting me to think of grapes in a new way! :) I think there ought to be a big sign: "Take a seat, the lecture will begin shortly."

Taken For Granted said...

Never looked at stools and imagined anything like this. While his art is wonderful, it is also done without thought to cost of materials. With that much tea he could run a tea house for years. Forty Ching dynasty stools? Wow.

TexWisGirl said...

i'm with lowell - didn't really see grapes. but i love the shadows you got!

Karen said...

Fantastic shadows!

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

He is really brilliant. Great photo, the shadows are just phenom

LĂșcia said...

Very cool shadows! ;-)

William Kendall said...

I do like that!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Very cool piece. I think it is representative of our global world.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful shadows, and reminds me somewhat of my Tinker Toys from way back when.

Jack said...

Wei Wei had a room full of wooden stools installed in a room at the 2013 Venice Biennale. I thought it was interesting but didn't find it beautiful or inspirational. But, if he is doing this with antique stools, there is some desecration happening!

Randy said...

It made some nice shadows.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I like the creativity Pat..its hard to imagine where on earth artists get their ideas from oui :)

Laura. M said...

Very curious ... I'm happy to visit the exhibition with you.
Have a great weekend :))

Birdman said...

Ever hear heard of a coffee room?

EG CameraGirl said...

It's working" I'm thinking of grapes in a totally new way. ;)

Birdman said...

A stunning tribute.