Thursday, June 27, 2013

"Communication"

This mural is found above the entrance into the front of yesterday's building. This part of the building was built in 1965 and Toronto artist York Wilson was commissioned to create this 5 part mural called "Communication". Each of the 20' X 5' panels represents a stage in man's progress in communication - writing, drawing, music, voice, and satellites - although all the images are quite abstract. I have returned several times to shoot this work since the light changes radically throughout the day as the sun passes by the surrounding skyscrapers. This is my best effort so far in getting all 5 panels nicely lit!

17 comments:

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

I was thinking as I looked at the photo, that the light must be a tough one on that building, against the white marble, and something that large, always hard to capture in one frame.

Interesting allegorical figures, and interesting choices for communication.

Lowell said...

I like the designs and the colors. At first I thought it was a series of narrow windows!

Unknown said...

So cool! Love it.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Well done Pat, it looks like a tricky one!

Anonymous said...

They do look like stained glass windows, great shot!

Sharon said...

It's an interesting piece. I like the abstract look to it.

TexWisGirl said...

i think it's ironic that they used 'abstract art' to denote communication since it is so subjective. :)

Jack said...

There is so much art in Toronto!

Andy said...

You are dedicated photographer to keep on trying. Be like the spider and never give up.

Deb said...

I know that feeling, trying to dodge the shadows! Nice mural, glad you provided the explanation.

jennyfreckles said...

I too thought they were stained glass. Maybe a close-up of each panel would be nice?

Shaun said...

Thats a pretty sweet mural, nice vivid colours.

Randy said...

Beautiful and wonderfully colorful.

Anonymous said...

any idea what they are made of?

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the colours. I'm not sure that I would have guessed what each panel was all about if you hadn't said, though.

William Kendall said...

Abstract, yes, but it works well against the marble.

Gringo said...

Nice one Red Pat..