Thursday, May 3, 2012

Artscape West Queen West

This building on West Queen West was the first legal artist live/work space in Toronto after being converted from a former warehouse by Artscape in 1995. Artscape is a "not-for-profit organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities" by transforming underutilized buildings across Toronto into multi-tenant space for artists. These spaces include live/work spaces, as well as spaces for galleries, theatres and other not-for-profit groups. I will show you some of the other sites in the future and also this one again in the summer when the garden is in bloom.
Tomorrow I will have a close-up of the structure in the upper right of the pic.

11 comments:

Halcyon said...

I was just in this area the other day. I did an art walk through WQW. That's an amazing area! I want to get back and look around more in-depth. Love this building and what's behind it. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

I think this is such a wonderful idea. It makes me feel happy to know that formerly under-used buildings are now being used wisely.

Deb said...

Sounds like a great idea, no wonder you have so much to see in the way of art in Toronto.

Anonymous said...

Cool Red Pat!

Shaun said...

Hi Red. Sorry for the lack of posting. Life had got a little crazy as of late. I hope you are well, and i am back on board again.

Lovely story to your photo aswell.

Shaun

Lowell said...

That is a big building! What a wonderful program! I would like to know more about it and will looks forward to your additional photos!

LĂșcia said...

I love the idea!
I wish we had similar projects around here... ;-)

Regina K said...

I like this building and it being a creative space for artist. You have my interest piqued with that upper right backwards @ sign : )

Sharon said...

Such a great use for an old warehouse.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It's so encouraging to see these buildings being used in such a creative way Red, too often building just get left abandoned and that's just not right!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Sounds a like a wonderful initiative. I love exploring places like that and talking to the people there.