Sunday, January 16, 2011

Heroes


I just happened upon this bronze sculpture today as I wandered about downtown in freezing temps (-12C, windchill -23C!). Dedicated in 2005, this sculpture is part of the Ontario Fire Fighters Memorial honouring the over 300 firefighters who have lost their lives in Ontario. I have been unable to discover the artist's name but the piece is very effective showing the fire fighter rescuing a child, positioned in front of the black granite monolith representing a building. I didn't realize until I got home that there is a wonderful reflection in the granite showing our flag which is at half-mast honouring a Toronto policeman who was killed this week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

great catch red pat - love the reflection and kudos to you braving that cold weather. thanks for the great pic.

LĂșcia said...

You're a brave woman too, I'm not sure if I'd go out in a cold day like this...
Nice sculpture, they're always heroes and the reflection is fantastic!
Beautiful shot. ;-)

Jack said...

Two safety statues in a row! Wow.

Randy said...

Wonderful tribute!

Birdman said...

I really like the reflections here.

Stefan Jansson said...

That will get you thinking.

Leeds daily photo said...

Firemen are true heroes in todays society, not sports stars. My uncle Sid was a London fireman his entire working life. This is a great memorial and justly deserved.